Total Pageviews

Monday, May 7, 2012

I get by with a little help from my friends

Ok, so this whole blogging thing hasn't exactly been as consistent for me as I would have liked for it to be. And by that, I mean my junior year is now at an end, and I haven't blogged once this year. I've been a little busy.

This has by far been the most amazing year of my life. In two semesters, I've managed to learn more about life and friendships than I think I ever knew before. Coming into this year I was terrified because I had taken on the role of editor of my school newspaper, a pretty tall order for a junior with not much experience. I can honestly say the one thing that got me through this year was my friends. 

When I came to Southern Miss, I joined a sorority because I heard about the lifelong friendships people make in Greek life. That's exactly what I've gotten out of it, and I couldn't be more blessed. My sisters know me better than anyone in this world, and I can't begin to count the times they've been there as a support system for me. 

Something I didn't expect, however, was to make a few other friendships along the way. When I started writing for the school paper, it was just that, a job. When I became editor, it was just that, a job. What it turned into over the course of a year, though, blows my mind when I think about it. My coworkers turned into my friends. Not just the friends that go to the Hog for a drink once the paper is finished, but the friends that call each other in tears at 3 a.m. because they feel like their life is falling apart over a troubled relationship, or a stressful test the next day. The friends that leave presents in my room when I've had a week from hell (more than once). 

In March, we took home the honor of best newspaper in the state. When they put that plaque in my hands, I felt like a proud mom. The successes we've had this year are directly related to my staff and how hard they've worked. Though not only have they worked hard, they've enjoyed themselves and grown in their relationships with each other. 

Journalism can be an incredibly stressful profession, and we've had our fair share of panic attacks in the basement of Southern Hall. Twice a week, though, no matter how stressed we were, these people came together to produce a quality newspaper, one that took home statewide recognition for excellence. Southern Miss has had a tough year, and these guys hung in there no matter what was going on around them, and accurately and fairly reported the situation. Readership increased, and campus got more excited to read the paper on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

I'm blessed beyond words. I complain every now and then, just like everyone else, but I know at the end of every day that I'm very fortunate to be where I am right now. I owe so much of that to all of those wonderful people who have stood behind me this year, pushing me when I wanted to give up, listening to me whine when I was frustrated, and most importantly, helping me when I couldn't do it alone. 

"Dreams can come true 
 With God's great angels like you"
 Garth Brooks "Your Song"


No comments:

Post a Comment